Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentines Day!

What a perfect day to start a blog about nutrition and disease. If you enjoyed that bit of cynicism then you are going to love this blog which is going to be more like my personal journal of my day to day battle trying to ‘outwit, outplay, outlast’ this disease I have called NF2 (see side bar for description of NF2 ).

Cynical I am, but at same time, trying to attain wellness through nutrition via diet is my life’s passion. It’s something that I’ve always been intuitive about, but only in the last five years have I seriously studied and researched, (and practiced) logging thousands of hours, reading medical and nutrition journals, websites and books advocating this or that from the absolute bizarre to moderate views to some downright informative cutting edge information. I take nothing at face value. After all this time the one main thing I have learned is that opinions change and the learning never stops. A friend said it best when she said this nutrition (and supplement) biz constantly “evolves.” Still, many facts speak for themselves which I’m going to try to cover here. At the same time you’ll see a glimpse into my harried madness trying to always eat organic and non processed foods, the great extremes I go to trying to obtain REAL food as the whole foodists call it, and the expense, which is a topic itself when living on a mid-class budget. It takes time, learning how to plan ahead, willingness and a true sense of enjoyment in preparing meals if you are going to be serious about weeding out overly processed food in favor of nutrient dense whole foods. About five years ago I told myself that I would start to love cooking, make it my new hobby, and learn to embrace it, because to do this, that is eat for wellness, it would help my body withstand the damage NF2 brings, or at least not impede it. It also takes an even keeled temperament because the topic of what to and what not to eat is more controversial than talking politics or religion. Therefore, this blog will be anything but preachy, rather just what I learned and how I transform that into how I live. There is nothing more sure to get a rise out of someone than when you point out what’s on their dinner plate will lead to cancer, diabetes, obesity, heart attacks, etc. -- even if it’s true. Bet that got a rise out you, didn’t it? :)

No comments: